Monday, September 2, 2013

Indroducing... Geeky Ginger Girl!


          Every blog needs a post introducing the blog and the author, right?


So what’s with the name?

Geeky…
          I’m a huge geek, and have been for most of my life. I’ve loved video games since the NES days of my childhood, and I’ve been reading sci-fi and fantasy novels for almost as long. I started watching anime in high school and playing tabletop RPGs in college.
          It’s tempting to launch into an exhaustive list of my geeky interests in an attempt to rack up some “geek cred,” but I’ll spare you. Besides, I’m not into the geek elite point of view. I think being a geek is not about what you like, how long you’ve liked it, or how much money or time you’ve spent on it. Simply put, it’s about enthusiasm. And as my husband will tell you, I’ve got that in spades. ^_^


          At the same time, though, part of the fun of being a geek is discussing things you like with other people who like them as much as you do! So don’t worry, there will definitely be posts in the future where I will talk more about my interests, and I would love to hear from people who share the same passions!

Ginger…
          Pretty self-explanatory. I’m a redhead. As a child I used to see that as a bad thing, but as I got older I got used to it and eventually I guess I came to see it as just a part of who I am. Now, thanks to the Doctor, I’ve realized how awesome it is. ^_~



Girl…
          Yes, I’m a girl. In some ways, I’m the stereotypical “girly-girl.” For example, my favorite color is pink, I hate bugs, and I love shopping, especially for clothes and shoes. But I hope you won’t judge me based on that. Like most people, I have many sides, which sometimes might even seem contradictory.
          Like being a geek. I know; geek girls aren’t as rare as we used to be. In a way, that makes me feel less “special,” I’ll admit. But I think the awesome geek girl community and the fact that more geeky things are being geared towards girls these days more than makes up for that.

Actually this picture sums me up pretty accurately... Wish I could figure out the original source...


What else?
         As much as I wish I could’ve come up with the perfect blog name that completely describes me (and is catchy and easy to remember), I’m pretty sure that’s impossible. There are some other important things about me that you might want to know. My name is Kristy. I’m 30 years old. I live in Arkansas with my husband, Billy, who is 22. We don’t have any children yet, but we’ve only been married about a year now, so give us time. ;)
          I’m a Christian. I know that’s not necessarily common in the geek community. I’m not one to shove my beliefs down others’ throats, but I won’t censor myself in fear of offending, either. As most people do, I may want to talk about my beliefs and values occasionally. If you disagree with me, feel free to say so. I’m fine with having dialogue about controversial topics, as long as everyone involved is mature and respectful to everyone else. And that includes me.
           I also have Bipolar Disorder. It’s difficult at times, but it’s another one of those things that’s just part of who I am. In the past I have let my symptoms get so bad that it caused some major damage to my life (which I may write more about later), but I have learned a lot about how to keep the symptoms to a minimum. God is the most important part of that for me, and my husband has been a great help too.
          I just graduated from college in May. I double-majored in Early Childhood Education and Psychology, with a minor in Japanese Language. My intention was to get a job as an elementary school teacher, but since for a while it looked like that wasn't going to work out, I thought I would try my hand at blogging. (Now I just got a job as a teacher at a daycare, but I was already so excited about the idea of blogging, that I decided to go ahead and still do it!)


What will I write about on this blog?
          Anything mentioned above and more. I may write about my personal life, religious beliefs, marriage, Bipolar Disorder, etc. I will probably write a lot about my geeky interests – anything from reports on cons I went to, to tips for running a D&D game. I intend to write about some of my forays into the world of crafting – probably about lot about making jewelry, a particular interest of mine. I also have a series of posts planned about the two-week trip to Japan that Billy and I made last summer with the college.
          Beyond that, we’ll just have to wait and see where this goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful of others any time you comment on this blog. Thank you!